Wordsmyth Theater is now accepting One Act or Two Act plays for our New Play Reading Series for 2018. Six plays will be selected, with one slot reserved for a Houston, TX playwright and another slot reserved for a bilingual play — any language. Each selected playwright will be paired with a director and cast. The play will then be read in front of an audience and the audience will be invited to stay after for a moderated discussion of the play. We do expect the playwright to be in attendance for the reading.
Submissions must meet the following criteria:
1. Play must not have been produced.
2. Play must not have had a public reading in the Houston area.
3. Submission must be received on or before midnight July 9, 2017.
4. Submission must be a minimum of 40 pages long and have a minimum run time of 40 minutes.
5. Submission must be in .pdf format.
6. There should be no playwright identifiers anywhere on the script. Playwright info should be in a separate file that accompanies the script.
7. Only one play per playwright per submission period.
8. No musicals, children’s plays, or one-person plays.
Although we strive to notify everyone who has submitted a script to us, it doesn’t always happen. If you do not hear from us within a year of your submission, you may assume your script was not accepted, and please accept our apologies for not notifying you.