Wordsmyth is now accepting submissions for the 2018 Texas Playwrights’ Festival!
GUIDELINES FOR TEXAS PLAYWRIGHTS’ FESTIVAL (TPF)
- We invite Texas playwrights (born in or currently living in Texas, including students) to submit one unproduced full-length play by January 5, 2018.
- Submissions will be limited to the first 200 scripts received. Entries submitted after January 5th will be disqualified. Scripts will not be returned.
- Musicals and plays intended for young audiences are not eligible. Submitted plays cannot have had a prior reading or workshop in Houston; prior readings or workshops outside Houston are acceptable.
- There is no limit on subject matter. Cast size is limited to 10.
- There is no submission fee.
- Plays should be submitted in the standard playwriting format, e.g., 12-point font,character name centered, etc.
- Scripts must be no less than 55 and no more than 120 pages, and in English.
- Submissions must be “blind,” i.e., entrants must remove all playwright identification from the script. Do not include a synopsis, resume or short bio.
- Save the script in PDF file format and name this file the title of your script plus the initials TPF. E.g., if your play name was Intrepid, your filename should be Intrepid TPF.pdf.
- Fill out the submission form below and include all requested information. Upload your script by adding it to the form.
- You should receive an email notification that your play was submitted successfully; if not, email email@example.com.
- Three selected scripts will each receive two staged readings at Stages Repertory Theatre in Houston on two dates in mid-to-late June 2018.
- Authors of selected plays will receive 7% of the ticket proceeds from both readings or $500, whichever amount is more.
Note that by entering this festival, where theatre-goers will pay to attend staged readings and where authors of the selected plays receive a percentage of the ticket proceeds, if your play is selected, you will be limiting your opportunity to submit your play to other festivals or competitions that prohibit the entry of plays that have previously appeared in a festival where a ticket fee was collected.